Formed in 2009 to help revitalize the economy while helping achieve sustainability, E3 is a federal technical assistance framework comprising six federal government agencies:
- help reduce energy consumption
- minimize carbon footprints
- prevent pollution
- increase productivity
- drive innovation
When a community or participates in E3, it means joining forces with a support network of people and tools.
In an “E3 Community,” one or more companies, local government agencies, and community organizations team up to create customized technical assessments detailing how to incorporate practical sustainable approaches throughout each facility involved.
E3 assessments aim to:
- Reduce energy consumption
- Minimize carbon footprints
- Prevent pollution
- Increase productivity
- Drive innovation
When manufacturers, communities, and utilities collaborate, the benefits reach far beyond manufacturers’ production lines.
E3 communities strive to:
- Improve the profitability and competitiveness of local manufacturers.
- Attract new business.
- Stimulate the local economy by creating new, well-paying jobs and by helping to retain existing ones.
- Train and equip workers with the skills necessary to compete in a global economy.
- Minimize the frequency of abandoned manufacturing facilities.
- Advance the environmental and climate change goals of local governments and utilities.
- Enable utilities to expand their manufacturing customer base without increasing capacity.